Saturday, October 12, 2013 will go down in history (well, my personal history) as one of the BEST. DAYS. EVER. Period.
What made it the BEST. DAY. EVER. you ask?
- The GORE-GEE-OUS weather!! I cannot believe that we’re almost halfway through October in Michigan and we are STILL getting highs in the mid/high seventies here. UNHEARD OF!!
- The MSU Spartans ROCKED the Indiana Hoosiers in probably their BEST performance this season. GO GREEN! GO WHITE!
- Michigan lost to Penn State…and if you are a Spartan or Buckeyes fan, I’m sure you fully understand how I feel.
- I knocked off another “Must Have” item from my “Clothes Needed” list, while saving about 30% on retail price…and I that’s all I have to say about that…
- I was ALSO able to purchase a near exact replica (well, I think so…and that’s what really matters) of the gray Madewell sweatshirt dress I’ve been drooling over…for about one-third the price (after tax). You can find it here (and apparently get 35% off if you buy online this weekend…I got 40% off at the store). You’re welcome.
- Ate a Halo Burger and tater tots. It’s always a great day when one eats a Halo Burger and tater tots.
- Had a great walk with my canine baby – 3.31 miles in 55 minutes (note, I said WALK…not run…because Hudson gets WAY TOO DISTRACTED to run a full 3 miles without stopping every 10 yards to sniff around)…feels great!
It seems so selfish and self-centered to post about having a great day like this. After all, who am I to be given such blessings in life? I am by far the least deserving of such good things, and yet the Lord (despite my wretched state) chooses to shower me with His goodness…grace…and even these little pleasures of life. Days like this are gifts…received with a heart of thanksgiving and praise.
It truly is easy to praise the Lord on good days like today…easy to double up on our praises to Him “from whom all blessings flow.” But even on days when the blessings seem to merely drip (at least, what I in my shallow, narrow-minded ways consider “blessings”), I need to remember to praise Him. This is because our praise depends on something much more constant and enduring than the temporary trappings of this world (i.e. Spartan victories, sweatshirt dresses, Halo Burgers, etc).
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”
Mary (the mother of Jesus) knew that she had many days ahead of her that would NOT be her BEST. DAY. EVER. She would be shunned and looked down upon because no one would understand that she was chosen to carry the Son of God. They would simply see her as a promiscuous woman who became pregnant before marriage. But she knew that her God…my God…OUR God was, is, and will ALWAYS BE deserving of praise because He IS GOOD. It’s not just because of the good things He does for us. The good He does flows from the good He IS…and our praises start with who HE IS.
So yes, I praise Him for giving me another BEST. DAY. EVER! But my praises must go beyond today. Even if tomorrow becomes the worst day ever, or even if I don’t see another best day ever the rest of my life, everyday I will praise the Lord, because he IS good…and always will BE.
and all that is within me,