In case you hadn’t noticed, I shied away from my “Week 3 Style/Fashion” post last week. With a major change in lifestyle (becoming a mom) and body shape (pregnancy seems to do that to you), my interest in style and clothing in general waned. I wasn’t the same person who had spent over a year learning about style and, for the first time in my LIFE, actually taking care to build a large and fashion forward wardrobe.
I mean…who IS that girl? How was she able to successfully invade my blog for over a year?
When I sat down to do a “Week 3 Style” post last week, I froze completely…and had to divert my attentions elsewhere (to Bullet Journaling, another current obsession of mine). I felt I needed to regroup and reconsider whether I really wanted to include the same type of style/fashion posts in this blog anymore.
(Which also explains why this post is late in its appearance as well. Sorry, folks!)
So, in my re-considerations of style/fashion posts, I happened upon a slew of YouTube videos about something I had never heard of before, but was totally intrigued by.
Something called a “Capsule Wardrobe.”
Here’s a sample (and my FAVORITE Capsule Wardrober on YouTube,
For those of you who have no idea what a capsule wardrobe is, Caroline Rector of Un-Fancy defines it as “a mini wardrobe made up of really versatile pieces that you completely LOVE to wear.” (see her full posts on capsule wardrobes at The Everygirl and her own blog) According to Caroline, the term was coined in the 1970’s by a London boutique owner, Susie Faux, where you have a smaller collection of seasonally appropriate clothing items to “remix” into a number of different outfits that works for you and your lifestyle.
Now, let’s think back to my LAST wardrobe blog post. Remember how I went from this…
If you ask me, I’ve pretty much jumped on this “capsule wardrobe” wagon and been going full throttle already. I even had close to what many capsule wardrobers consider the “ideal number” of items in my closet.
Well, unless you count my shoes…LAWD, I have WAY too many, and a lot of these are too tight. (Side Note: For those who don’t know, pregnancy causes your joints to relax…including those in your feet!! So since my pregnancy, I have gone from a 6.5 size shoe to a full 7.)
Of course, now that I’m completely re-inspired in my love of style, fashion, and WARDROBES, I have come to the decision to restart my style blogs in the vein of developing and maintaining a “capsule wardrobe.” (Let the good times ROLL!!)
So for those of you who are interested in exploring this
newfound re-found passion of mine, feel free to check back in the next few weeks to read about the process. In truth, the process will probably follow very closely to the one I described in my “Closet Chronicles” (series starts here)…with one additional step prior to my old 5 step process.
- “Planning the Process”: I will be going through Caroline Rector’s “Capsule Wardrobe Planner” to initially map out my wardrobe. By including this step, I hope to be a lot more mindful and purposeful in the building of my capsule wardrobe.
- “Systematic Purge-ology”: In capsule wardrobe circles, this will basically be the “take everything out of your closet and sort them into piles to keep/store/donate/discard” step of the process. I was a lot more lenient in the “Closet Chronicles” than I plan to be with my “Capsule Wardrobe” series.
- “Organization”: So once I decide what I’m keeping & storing, the plan is to organize them into their appropriate locations and in a way that helps me make overall sense of my wardrobe.
- “Filling in the Holes”: Before this step, most capsule wardrobers will suggest that you not shop for any additional items for a month or so…simply to better gauge what exactly you need. Of course, I’ve already been doing this for the past year, so I already have a pretty good idea what I need. Still, I will document the process…for my readers.
- “Let’s SHOP! WOOHOO!!”: Without a doubt, the shopping process and philosophy will have changed some since the last post. But still no less FUN!!
- “Remix & Repeat”: This will be a post about how I use my capsule wardrobe, some of the (at that time) current outfits I wear from it, and how the wardrobe will change from season to season.
So there you have it, folks! I’m back in the saddle (albeit a much more sensible and functional one), and getting ready to start another wardrobe series, herein to be titled…
“THE CAPSULE WARDROBE CHRONICLES”
I know…it’s all so EXCITING!!
Until next time…keepin’ on living to learn and love! ❤