Honestly, I feel a little weird writing this blog post, considering that the summer is almost over and I am in the process of planning my Fall
Capsule Wardrobe (note the dropping of the term “capsule”…more on that in a future blog/vlog). It’s been difficult to document and take photos of my wardrobe. After all, the point of having a wardrobe is to wear it…and with the summer having been so blistering HOT, a lot of my pieces ended up in the laundry a lot more frequently than usual.
But there have been several people commenting on Facebook and Instagram that I should share the items that I ended up with (especially after that last post about the shopping experience). I suppose that since I started this story, it would be cruel to leave everyone hanging, wondering what I purchased and the final wardrobe I ended up with.
With the items I already had in my wardrobe prior to shopping, the total number of items in my wardrobe is currently at
36 29 pieces (not including the few pieces of jewelry I have or PJs/workout clothes/undergarments/socks).
So here is my Summer 2016 wardrobe…in all its simplified glory.
The breakdown is…
98 Bottoms – 1 pair of boot-cut jeans, 2 pairs of skinny blue jeans, 1 pair of skinny black jeans, 1 pair of girlfriend fit jeans, , 1 cargo skirt; [not pictured] 1 pair of green utility joggers (new purchase), 1 pair of girlfriend fit chinos (new purchase), 1 pair of denim shorts (similar)
1310 Tops – 21 tank top s, 65 T-shirts, 2 baggy T-shirts, 1 boyfriend-style button up shirts, 1 tunic, 1 3/4-sleeve shirt
- 6 Outerwear Items – 2 long cardigans (camel and black), 1 gray hooded knit vest, 1 denim vest, 1 olive green utility vest, 1 black peplum jacket
85 pairs of shoes – 2 pairs of boots, 1 pair of black espadrille wedges, 32 pairs of walking shoes (sneakers), 1 pair of flat cognac sandals, 1 pair of Vans
You may notice that even in the process of finalizing this list, there were a few items that were taken out of the mix. During the shopping process, I decided to put away/give away a few more items:
- 1 pair of boot-cut jeans – Remember in this post when I said these jeans were getting too big, but I kept them in my wardrobe because I literally had no other jeans that even remotely fit/worked? Well, since I was able to purchase 4 new pairs of jeans, it was time to put them away for another time (if and when I gain weight again…for whatever reason…and need them again).
- 1 linen-blend tank top from Gap – Oh, the downsides of weight loss. While I’m ecstatic that I’m slowly getting back to my pre-preggers weight, it’s wreaking havoc on my wardrobe because I find myself having to put away even recent purchases into storage because they just don’t fit anymore. This tank top is one of those purchases. Again, holding onto them in case of future weight gain (which is very possible, as I’m not opposed to having more babies at this point in my life).
- 1 3/4-sleeve striped shirt from Madewell – Another victim of weight loss rejection! This was definitely one of my favorite pieces earlier in the summer (before the blistering heat took over). But it became so big on me that it no longer looked good on me nor was comfortable to wear. One good thing (though this may be a major no-no in minimizing one’s wardrobe) is that I actually purchased the same shirt a size smaller. I expect to be including it into my Fall wardrobe.
- 1 vintage wash t-shirt from Gap – With the purchase of a new gray t-shirt from Madewell, I decided to give away my gray t-shirt from Gap. I only need one heather gray t-shirt, and I preferred the v-neck on the Madewell shirt over the scoop neck on the Gap shirt. I am keeping the black Gap t-shirt in my wardrobe though, because I don’t have another black one…and a black t-shirt is definitely a staple piece I wear all the time and need in my closet.
- 1 pair of New Balance sneakers – These sneakers are altogether heavier than my Nikes/Reeboks/Vans, and I seriously did not reach for these at all this summer. I may re-introduce them in the Fall, when the weather grows cooler and heavier sneakers would be VERY nice to have. So I have put them away in storage for the time being.
- 2 pairs of ankle boots – Again, I simply did not reach for these at all this summer because of the oddly blistering heat wave we have been enduring. So these are also going into storage until cooler weather returns.
And so, I was finally able to close the closet door on my Summer 2016 Wardrobe. It was a long process, but now that my closet looks like THIS…
I feel so much more relaxed and at peace with what I own.
Your thoughts on this whole process? Feel free to leave comments below!