The past couple of weeks have been hard on me. Physically, the fatigue has been unreal. Mentally, the shifts in both work and home has left me scrambling to find a new “normal” (which I desperately crave right now). Emotionally, the combination of the physical and mental has taken its toll on me, and I get worked up about the smallest things nowadays.
Something’s gotta give soon.
I’m afraid it will be my sanity.
Aside from the desperation to maintain a semblance of peace and self, things have been pretty quiet. I’m still learning tons from being a mommy (check out my last “Musings of a Mommy” post here) and a wife (“marriage” post series here), still getting all the “stuff” done thanks to my second brain, aka #bulletjournal (you can click here to see the series of posts on that), and happily settled into my “Simple Wardrobe” (pretty sure my last wardrobe purchase was in January…and the next probably won’t happen until May).
I suppose I could just as easily give you an update on one of those things. After all, they have been the bread-and-butter topics of this blog (and from what I hear, having consistency tends to draw readers…oops). I could, but I choose not to this week because, like I said earlier, something’s gotta give. Today, I choose to relinquish the self-imposed demand of writing a topical blog post that takes the tons of mental space I simply do not have right now.
Considering, I will admit that the title of this post is kind of a misnomer. It’s not that I don’t have anything to write about. I just choose to write about nothing.
Nothing…as in nothing in particular.
So…here are some random, “nothing in particular” things going on in our lives that you may or may not be interested in reading about.
- Our household “adult-count” has been cut down by 50 percent (meaning we’ve gone from mom/dad/grandma/grandpa to a team of mom/dad). I will be the first to admit that I’m spoiled rotten as a mother having amazing in-home childcare available…especially now that said childcare is gone to (literally) the other side of the world for the next 5+ weeks.
- The next great parenting adventure we are facing is potty training. Between the wonderful teachers at #ToddlerAn’s daycare and his developing bathroom ambitions at home (4 successful potties within 2 weeks so far), we’ve realized that it is time to face the beast and deal with it head on. #prayforus
- I’m still in the process of reading at least 1 book a month. Thus far, I have been able to get through at least 2 each month. Currently, I’m reading The Power of the Other, by Dr. Henry Cloud. It’s one of those books that presents a super “common sense” concept that you KNOW you know, but couldn’t purposefully tap into until you read this book. You would probably fall into the concept by chance (whether in a negative or positive way). But once you read it and understand the ramifications, you are able to start actively pursuing the positive benefits of this “power of the other.” I’m so glad to be reading this book. Once common sense and practice is put into an easily understandable format, it can change your life. This is no exception.
- The next “book series” I will be reading is the Hogwarts Library, by J.K. Rowling. I figured since I’ve read every other book/play script in the series, may as well delve into these as well. It’s currently sitting in the backseat of my minivan…because I opened the Amazon package in there and keep forgetting to take it into the house.
- I’m an avid YouTube viewer and have a good list of channels I subscribe to. My current YouTube series I’m completely obsessed with is the Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge, by Super Carlin Gaming. If you are into Pokemon and gaming playthroughs, this is an awesome series to follow.
- We had the unique opportunity to meet some of the MSU Spartan Basketball Team after their last regular season home game at the Breslin against Wisconsin (also happened to be Senior Night). Let’s just say that dreams came true that evening.
So that’s all for this installment of “writing about nothing in particular.” Hopefully by next week I will have regained some sense of normalcy and be back to regular blog posting schedule and actually share “something.”
Until next time, here’s to learning to take it easy (because, sometimes, we all need to give ourselves a break).